The leaky gut syndrome Is a pathology that is characterized by headaches, tiredness, diarrhea, abdominal swelling, food intolerances, difficulty losing weight and joint pain without apparent causes. As it is a clinical picture with very different symptoms, it is a complicated diagnostic disease.
Therefore, in this article we tell you what are the best foods that repair leaky gut.
What is leaky gut?
What happens with Leaky Gut Syndrome is that the wall of the small intestine is disturbed and causes substances and microorganisms that should not pass this barrier and reach the blood.
The small intestine is the largest protective barrier of the human body with the outside, thus occupying the second place after the skin. But the difference with the skin is that our small intestine only has a protective layer that are called enterocytes.
This protective layer of the intestinal mucosa is what serves as protection and defence of our intestine.
One of the main causes of our intestine becoming permeable is stress, which causes us that inflammation in the intestinal mucosa. Stress causes us to lower our defenses and eat an inadequate diet, have sleep problems, etc.
To combat this syndrome, it first has to be identified by a specialist and treat the origin of permeability and we must also take care of our food.
- LEAKY GUT REPAIR SUPPLEMENT POWDER - GutAssist supports the healing of the body’s protective membranes along the GI tract, giving these membranes nutrients like L-Glutamine to thrive and heal.
- IMMUNE SYSTEM SUPPORT - Good health really does start in the gut. Poor gut health can even lead to a bad mood, depression, and other imbalances that effect the quality of our lives. Maintaining good gut flora and balance is essential for proper digestive health and gut integrity. Inside your body, the gut wall houses many cells that comprise your immune system.
- GI TRACT + DIGESTIVE SUPPORT - A healthy gut lining supports nutrient delivery, and a well-balanced digestive tract is essential to achieving good nutrient delivery. An imbalanced gut can lead to complications like bloating, IBS, constipation, diarrhea, cramps, or gas. A poorly functioning gut can also disrupt the balance and harmony of our body, sometimes leading to a bad mood, depression, anxiety, or stress.
- GLUTAMINE, ALOE VERA, LICORICE ROOT, ARABINOGALACTAN - L-Glutamine is the body’s most plentiful free-form amino acid, and is central in sustaining gastrointestinal function. Glutamine is a significant carrier of nitrogen within the body, which is essential in the cellular healing.
- CAN BE TAKEN WITH PROBIOTICS, DIGESTIVE ENZYMES, PREBIOTICS - When leaky gut occurs a person may experience an almost allergic-level response to these offending food particles or bacteria that have leaked through the gut wall into the bloodstream. The result can be uncomfortable gastrointestinal symptoms such as cramps, gas, extreme food sensitivity, bloating, abnormal bowel movements, and inflammation. A leaky gut can also manifest itself in other ways.
Foods that repair leaky gut
We must eat a diet rich in foods that help us to grow and protect the beneficial intestinal bacteria, having bad intestinal bacteria can create several diseases such as chronic inflammation, cancers, heart disease and type 2 diabetes.
The best foods that repair leaky gut and thus improve our digestive health are:
- Vegetables: broccoli, brussels sprouts, cabbage, arugula, carrots, kale, beets, chard, spinach, ginger, mushrooms and zucchini.
- Roots and tubers: potatoes, sweet potatoes, yams, carrots, pumpkins and turnips.
- Fermented vegetables: kimchi, Sauerkraut, tempeh and miso.
- Germinated seeds: chia, flax, sunflower, etc.
- Fruits: coconut, grapes, bananas, blueberries, raspberries, strawberries, kiwi, pineapple, oranges, mandarin, lemon, limes, passion fruit and papaya.
- Healthy fats: avocado, avocado oils, coconut, extra virgin olive.
- Gluten-free grains: buckwheat, amaranth, rice (brown and white), sorghum, teff and gluten-free oats.
- Fish: salmon, tuna, herring and oily fish in general that are rich in omega-3
- Meats: chicken, beef, lamb, turkey, with as little fat as possible, also eggs are beneficial.
- Herbs and spices: In general, they are all beneficial for leaky gut.
- Cultured dairy products: kefir, yogurt, Greek yogurt and traditional whey.
- Beverages: chicken or bone broths, teas, coconut milk or nuts, water and Kombucha.
- Nuts: raw, peanuts, almonds and products made with nuts.
- DEVELOPED BY A REAL DOCTOR! Dr. Amy Myers is a practicing physician and author of two best-selling books, “The Autoimmune Solution” and “The Thyroid Connection.” She developed this formula to help repair the lining of your stomach and reduce signs of a Leaky Gut.
- L GLUTAMINE POWDER TO REDUCE SIGNS OF LEAKY GUT: As your gut lining is restored you’ll notice digestive health issues like constipation, bloating, gas, indigestion, and even IBS begin to subside. You’ll feel better and have the energy to enjoy your days. Has aloe extract to help restore your gut’s normal mucosal lining and includes licorice extract to soothe the stomach and intestinal lining.
- CONTAINS SLIPPERY ELM POWDER AND MARSHMALLOW ROOT TO HELP REPAIR AND RESTORE GUT LINING: Good health starts with your gut and nearly all people suffer from a leaky gut due to the environment we live in today and the unhealthy food we eat. LGR soothes your stomach and encourages gut lining restorations. + Slippery elm and marshmallow root maximize gut repair and mucous membrane health. Contains larch arabinogalactan to promote healthy gut microflora & promote gut mending fatty acid production
- L GLUTAMINE POWDER REDUCES SUGAR CRAVINGS and PROMOTES HEALTHY WEIGHT: As your gut lining is restored, normal digestive health will resume. This means those unhealthy cravings will subside and more substantive foods will be more appealing to you. Reducing sugar intake will naturally lead to a less inflamed gut and healthier digestive function.
- INCREDIBLY EASY TO ADD TO YOUR GUT HEALTH REGIMEN: Do you have at least one glass of water every day? I sure hope so! That’s all it takes to be able to take Leaky Gut Revive. It mixes fast and effortlessly into any beverage. Try mixing it a glass of water, a smoothie, or fresh juice first thing in the morning like I often do!
Foods to avoid
The products that can be harmful to our intestine, since they can cause inflammation or are more difficult to digest, and even that damage the beneficial bacteria of our intestines are:
- Wheat products: bread, pasta, cuscus, cereals, wheat flour, etc.
- Grains with buttocks: rye, barley, oats, etc.
- Processed meats: cold cuts, bacon, sausages, sausages, blood sausages, etc.
- Baked goods: biscuits, muffins, cookies, cakes, cakes, pizzas, etc.
- Aperitives: salted cookies, muesli bars, popcorn, Pretzels, etc.
- Fast food: chips, cereals with sugars, sweets, etc.
- Dairy: milk, cheeses and ice cream.
- Refined oils: canola, sunflower, soybean and safflower oil.
- Artificial sweeteners: aspartame, sucralose and saccharin
- Sauces: soybeans, Teriyaki, Mayonnaise, Ketchup.
- Beverages: alcohol, carbonated or sugary drinks.
Tips to improve gut health
Diet is one of the most important things to improve our leaky gut, but there are other measures that we have to take into account so that our quality of life is superior.
In addition to eating the foods that repair the leaky gut, we give you some extra tips to progressively improve your health, and that will positively affect not only your intestine but the entire body.
Taking Probiotic Supplements
Probiotics are necessary because the beneficial bacteria they contain benefit us and we find them in fermented foods, but taking a probiotic supplement will improve the health of our gut because we will increase these good bacteria.
These supplements can be easily introduced into foods that repair leaky gut.
Reduce stress and anxiety
Stress is a very common enemy that harms us beneficial gut bacteria, there are several ways to combat it, you can practice exercise such as walking daily, perform meditation, you have several free applications today to perform it and practicing yoga can also help us reduce it.
Tobacco is a risk factor for various intestinal conditions and it can increase inflammation in the digestive tract so not smoking or smoking as little as possible is the most beneficial for our intestine. Not smoking increases good bacteria and reduces harmful bacteria in our body.
Sleep at least 7 hours
Little sleep, or lack of sleep, is harmful to our intestinal health since it causes the distribution of healthy intestinal bacteria to be distributed incorrectly and this causes our intestine to increase its intestinal permeability and we suffer more discomfort.
Avoid alcohol or reduce your consumption to the maximum
Excessive alcohol intake has been shown to increase intestinal permeability when mixed with certain proteins. Alcohol abuse causes us to have many more diseases and causes tissue damage and alters the functioning of organs.
The gastrointestinal tract is a major source of inflammation With the consumption of alcohol, for that reason avoiding its consumption or reducing it will be very beneficial for our leaky gut.
All these tips are important for our intestine to improve and thus also our quality of life, since we have to live with this constant suffering, unless it is as bearable as possible.
With these tips and the foods that repair leaky gut you can have a good diet and you can configure it at your whim. You can find a lot of information about diets for leaky gut on the internet, but your doctor can always tell you a proper diet if you have any other pathology and correctly adjust the foods that can be beneficial in each case.
To know for sure if you suffer from leaky gut syndrome, you can ask your doctor to perform the celiac test since with the results you will be able to know if you suffer from the syndrome or not.